I have searched the internet and read many articles on the subject of what the home decor trends will be in 2016. There are a lot of ideas of what will be trending in the coming year. As a matter of fact, there are so many that it would be impossible to list them all in this article. I have narrowed down what I have found to 7 trends that I like.
1. Wall Paper – In 2015 the wall paper trend was ’70s style patterns. So what are we in store for in 2016?
Natural Surfaces – The look of natural facades using wood, stone and brick patterns.
Retro Geometrics – This comes in a wide range of vibrant colors to ultra-modern block designs with a distinctly urban flavor via retro chic,
Metallic matte – Specifically turquoise and copper.
Sweet Pastels – Subtle, calm and muted hues will be the trend.
2. Bringing the Outdoors In – Home owners are experimenting with bringing nature in to their homes. They will be purchasing furniture that can be used outside as well as inside. For the interior of the home the trend will be wall decor depicting outdoor themes, table top water fountains and small plants in pots.
3. Artisan Goods – This can be anything from basketry and tassels to crochet and macrame, weaving is a good choice also. Home owners should not be afraid to mix artisan goods with mass produced items. It is okay to mix a Persian rug or an artisan stool with a table from your local store.
4. Minerals – Minerals of all types will be in. Look for bowls of pyrite, quartz chunks as display pieces and bowls with unpolished semi-precious stones.
5. Decorative Tiles – According to home designer’s decorative backsplashes have been going strong for many years. Expect to see an increase in geometric patterns that add the illusion of fluid movement. The use of wood and cement will aid in achieving this look. This will be seen on floors, countertops or backsplashes.
6. Metals and Metallics – Trends in decorating the home are reminiscent of the 50s and 70s. The use of gold, brass and metallic finishes will be popular. So be prepared to embrace the retro bling.
7. Ethnic Prints – The use of tribal prints, African inspired textiles and accessories and globally influenced shapes, patterns and colors. The design world has been using tribal themes as a standard but in 2016 the design world will use these themes with new and bold interpretations.